Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Daily Coyote...A MUST Read

I just got finished reading The Daily Coyote by Shreve Stockton (her blog: http://www.dailycoyote.net/). I cannot recommend it enough to anyone who likes coyotes, dogs or really animals in general (or the human condition for that matter). I won't go into too much detail about the book but it is a true story and Shreve seems like a truly amazing person. It was a quick read and worth every minute. I got more smiles from that book in a 24 hour period than I have had in the previous month.

I must admit I have been somewhat fascinated with coyotes since I was much younger. I grew up in a pretty rural area in Upstate, NY. In the summers I didn't usually have a/c so all the windows would be open. Our house was surrounded by fields and pretty much open acreage (then, but not so much now...). Many nights I would lie awake listening to the Coyotes. The sound was something to behold for sure. They were probably with a few hundred yards or less of the open windows. Whether it was the heat or how loud their "singing" was, I often missed a lot of sleep those nights.

I went as far as to build a tree stand and buy coyote calls, (rodent in distress, that type of thing) in an effort to see one of these beautiful and often misunderstood animals. I never was able to call one in but their evidence was all around me. It wasn't until much later that I had actually gotten a glimpse of a Coyote.

What does this all have to do with photography? For one Shreve's photography in the book is fascinating and well placed throughout the story. Secondly, the book inspired me and I am going to make a concerted effort to attempt to photograph some of these animals in the wild. I may even have to pull out some of those coyote calls. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment